Wednesday, November 5, 2008

#14 Technorati

Oh Technorati, what a love-hate relationship we have! Things I like about Technorati:

1). Sense of humor (ie. "Doh! The Technorati Monster escaped again. We're currently experiencing backend issues and are working to resolve them as quickly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.")

2). The more focused searching of blogs and the fact that blogs are treated as a possible venue for authoritative information. This is just one more attempt to manage the incredible surge in the creation of new pieces of information.

3). Being able to "claim" blogs and add them for peer critique and review. What I mean by this is that registering with Technorati gets my blogs more into the public eye where they have a better chance of sinking or swimming on their own merits as opposed to languishing in complete obscurity, even if they contain valuable information. (And I'm not saying that they do, but if they ever did. . . you know what I mean!)

4). The ability to search for content categorized by subjects and tags that are both authoritative and on blogs (or news sites). Again, I guess this speaks to the equalizing of the playing field and the acknowledgement of the fact that blogs CAN contain good information.


Mostly the thing I have HATED about Tecnorati is their technical glitches. I have never used Technorati where the "Technorati monster" didn't get loose. Eee gads, keep that thing caged! I have had blank screens, unrecognized account information, freezes and all out Technorati meltdown. Enough. I am a very patient person, but it seems very unprofessional that every time I have used Technorati, there are glitches.


The Technorati Monster:


As an aside, can I just say that almost every time I try to type the word "blogs," I type the word "clogs" instead? This only happens when I am typing the plural form of blog and must be related to the fact that I am half Swedish!!!

No comments: