Monday, December 1, 2008

#21 Podcasts


I have read some of my classmates' posts on this topic and they all rave at how easy this podcasting thing is. Well, can one of them please help me? I did not find this easy at all! Two of the three links at the Library 2.0 site did not work. Also audioblogger.com where one can create podcasts is now defunct. So I was left with Podcast Alley which was OK, but not great.

First off, I listen to talk radio and news almost all day, so while I am more of a visual learner, my brain can adjust to auditory input, but I find listening to podcasts difficult and tedious, because I don't like being tied to the computer. If I had an MP3, they might be good, but I don't even have a cell phone, so an MP3 is not forthcoming!

Second, my experience with podcasts previously was limited to listening to my pastor's sermons if I missed church (I know, I know, what a total nerd!) and which I did not find "difficult and tedious." I have never had any problems with listening to these, just click the link and listen. Everything I tried to listen to from Podcast Alley wanted me to download software in order to listen to it, but since none of the options were rated very highly, I was reluctant to do so. Many had only one or two stars out of five, so I was not real keen on putting junk on my computer!

As others have pointed out, the experience with podcasts is enlightening in the sheer volume of them available. And I like the idea of Podcast Alley's slogan "free the airwaves." I like anything that gives voice to people and is open access and FREE! Hence my love of Hulu, Google Docs, Open Office, GHOST, blogger and affection (not love) for You Tube. Podcasts fall into that same category. Anyone may create a podcast -- the ultimate free speech.

For library application, I suppose podcasts could be useful, but I think that blogs, websites, even videos might be more appropriate and appreciated by patrons. I think that people tend to be more visual than auditory, so the use of podcasts in library settings may be limited. Making patrons aware of them and giving easy access, however, could never hurt.

No comments: