Monday, December 1, 2008

#22 NetLibrary


OK, in case you haven't noticed over the course of reading this blog, I am a VISUAL learner. Shocking, I know. So I did explore both Net Library and My Media Mall, two applications that are supported by my library, but I did not start accounts. While My Media Mall offers video applications, ebooks (print online) and audio downloads (books), Net Library is audiobooks. I don't do audiobooks and don't need yet another Internet presence complete with unique user name and password!

I totally understand the appeal of audiobooks, especially with the ubiquity of MP3 players, but I need to see the text in order for it to penetrate my brain. I am also going through a personal phase of trying to "unplug" as much as possible in my personal life. Don't get me wrong. I love, appreciate and use technology (especially at work), but I hate the ever-present cell phone and seeing people talking or taking pictures on them instead of living in and experiencing the very moment they are attempting to capture. Same with MP3s. Everyone is plugged in, listening to their own personal soundtrack and ignoring everyone around them. Major pet peeve. Honestly, while it sounds judgemental, I'm actually not judging anyone else. This is just a decision for myself. And I like it. I like being able to ramble around a store and not be buzzed by a cell phone or to have a cup of coffee in the "silence" of the white noise in a public space or to people watch or just observe the world as it passes by. So, I am stepping down off the soapbox and getting back on topic -- NET LIBRARY:

NetLibrary, as a division of OCLC, is an excellent and reliable source for audiobooks. Obvious benefits to online audiobooks is availability, durability (no scratches or broken tape!) and portability. A library doesn't have to find shelf space or spend staff time cataloging, processing or shelving the items. Patrons have 24/7 access with perhaps a greater selection than their home library might be able to provide otherwise. For folks into audiobooks, Net Library is an awesome resource. For those of us, not into audiobooks, we can admire from afar. (But I really do GET IT and our library subscribes and has good feedback regarding this product.)

No comments: