Wednesday, December 10, 2008

LIS 635 Final Project


For my final project I chose to find free online alternatives to James Rettig's Distinguished Classics of Reference Publishing. As I was searching, though, I found tons of other awesome sources that weren't perfect matches to the Rettig selections, but that I didn't want to discard, so I kept bookmarking and ideas kept percolating.

While reading some library listserv (I subscribe to so many, I can't remember which), a librarian from a small, non-automated library commented that they are able to have an online presence by cataloging their collection in Library Thing and having a blog hosted by Blogger with Flikr pictures and other free online applications.

All of this came together in Free Library, my final project which I plan to continue beyond this course. Check it out! If you have any ideas for content, shoot me an email or post a comment here. I am specifically looking for less well-known links for the free links categories.

And a note on formatting: The Rettig selections are supposed to be in two neat columns. I have spent hours with the html of this and can get everything to look perfect in an online html editor, in the compose function and the preview. Then I publish and it looks all wonky! Frustrating!!!! So I will be working on that. . . .any suggestions are appreciated. . .

No comments: