Sunday, December 7, 2008

#23 Summarize

Click on the Wordle above to see a word cloud of this blog!


What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
I liked all of them in one way or another. Even those that were not my favorites were good because they expanded my awareness or appreciation of various applications. My favorite part of this exercise was the blog itself. I really enjoy this format. It is both practical and fun.

How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
I feel like I have more tools at my disposal for solving patron inquiries, offering more relevant library services, improving patron/librarian interactions and being generally more up-to-date.

Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
I think one of the over-arching themes I see from this program is that technology can be both friend and foe. When harnessed correctly, it can be a useful tool that enables users to be more productive. Other times, however, technology can be a huge time-sucking vortex. This exercise enabled me to find those things which will enable me to do my job better and gave me an opportunity to weed out some items from my list of things to do. "Been there, done that, don't need it (for now . . .)" That's valuable too!

What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
While this program was designed for a specific group of people within a certain time period (of which we were not a part), since so many others use this concept, keep the links up-to-date. I think adding some exercises to increase awareness of more sites for free (legal!) music, television, movies and open access software would be great. An additional "thing" could also be Google with all of its capabilities and aspects, such as scholar, government, book digitization project, etc.

If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you again chose to participate? Absolutely!

Woo hoo! Ich bin fertig!

No comments: